Thursday, October 8, 2009

2009 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for Telomeres













This year's Nobel Prize in Medicine goes to a trio of scientists for their seminal work in the area of telomeres. When this article came across Bloomberg's wire, it gave me pause since I had cited and presented some of Dr. Blackburn's work on telomeres during my prior life as a scientist. I've blogged about my attempt to understand the super-secondary structure that DNA might adopt given these highly conserved DNA base pair sequences which might offer insight into how cellular senescence is controlled to understand a telomere's structure and possible the enzymes that interact with these chromosome ends holds great promise in the field of medicine. Congrats to Drs. Blackburn, Szostak, and Greider for their award.

Scientific American Link

Official Press Release for 2009 Award

Bloomberg Wire

0 Comments: