Saturday, July 11, 2009

Dave Matthews Covers

As an aspiring, self-taught guitarist, the internet has made learning guitar even easier. During college, my absolute favorite all-time band was DMB. Prior to DMB, I loved the usual Stones, Led Zeppelin, and Bob Dylan. But there was something about Dave's music that was so new and different, much like when I felt when I first heard Nirvana and Pearl Jam. It's interesting to think about how interwoven music is within our society, and where we are at the time. I have always thought that the music of the 60's was so good because good music starts from your soul. Since the 60's were characterized by chaos, you could see this get channeled through the lyrics of great song writers like CCR, Hendrix, The Grateful Dead, Neil Young, and CSNY. I digress, but you get the picture. The final word on this is today's music sucks. But I guess that's indicative of where we are in the cycle.

Well I remember buying DMB's Remember Two Things at the Bucknell bookstore my sophomore year, and it was the precursor to an amazing body of music. Agreed, I am an old school fan, liking DMB's early music much more than its current form. But as a guitarist, you have to love his playing. It's amazing. I was driving around the other day and Pandora chose "The Best of What's Around" and it just made me smile. The song is like scotch, no worries, just chillin'.

So I am posting a couple of YouTube videos of Dave's early days in Virgina before he went nuclear. And I also want to post a video of this guy on YouTube as well who does covers of DMB on acoustic guitar. He's one of the best I've seen in the sense that he plays identical to Dave all over the fret. The guy's amazing.

Dave's Early Days


Akangell on YouTube (DMB Covers)


So Much to Say - Cover



Internet Sites to Learn Acoustic Covers (This guy dumbs it down in a major way):
Guitar Sage

Guitar Tabs

0 Comments: