Tuesday, January 13, 2009

American Idol -- Why It's Brilliant


So I have to admit that over the past 2 years, Erin has managed to successfully get me hooked on American Idol. I will confess that I am more interested in the early shows, and by the time it's the finals, I pretty much have lost interest. So I found myself asking the question, why do I find myself drawn to this show? For those who know me, you'd be shocked to think I actually watch this show.

The easy answer is that I find myself drawn to the show for the trainwrecks that show up and sing. It's astounding to watch people sing horribly, and then act shocked that professionals find them so untalented. My favorite personality last year in the early rounds was Alexis Cohen, the girl from Allentown, PA. She kept telling Simon to "take it" in her follow-up interview.



Maybe the answer is I watch because the producers always show someone that reminds you that there are some really good people out there. Like the girl on tonight's show who started a group that goes and sings at senior centers so the seniors don't have to be alone. That's pretty awesome, you have to admit. Her parents must be so proud, I know I'd be.

But ultimately, I realized the the draw for me at least, is that there is something truly inspirational watching people go after their dreams. I've posted about this before, but it's true. We all talk about having a vision for our life, but how many of us truly go after our dream? It's easy to identify and watch the auditioner on the show that will get through. But I always find it more fascinating to try and to identify the person that will continue to go after their dream even when the experts tell them not to. Quitting is easy; as the saying goes, tough times don't last, tough people do.

I guess that's it, that's the hook for me. This show reminds you to never stop a person from trying to realize their dreams. My hope is that Alexis is realizing her dream somewhere....

0 Comments: