Friday, September 12, 2008

"Our Site" -- Click and Viewing Behavior

Here is a chart that shows the number of visitors that hit the site since February this year. The reason I chose Feb is because statcounter started tracking the site as a new project in Feb '08 since I had hit my limit of 500 as a free service (www.statcounter.com)

June's traffic really picked up because I realized how to drive traffic to the website. However, I think that the blue area is the most meaningful. Over time, I have been able to drive new, unique visitors, which is everything. If you want to know the secret, email me, as it's still a work in progress, and still too early to tell. But if you are thinking about monetizing your website, it's an idea worth thinking about.

If you drill into this data above, you will see some patterns of behavior by the people who click on the site. What the data shows is that the traffic is non-existent on weekends, then builds slowly from Monday to Wednesday, then tapers again.



Two things come to mind:

1. Either people are bored as the week starts and find the site and return...

2. I blog in bursts, specifically during weekends, and post all new stuff on Sunday night. This drives traffic.

I know the motives of my behavior well, and Sunday night is when all of my pent up creativity from things I think about get "written". What I'd like to do is drive traffic with less "seasonality" if you will, so that demand is more constant. But before you can address and change a market, you have to be able to understand the behavior of it's participants. I'm the supplier, I want to understand my corresponding demanders.

It'll be interesting to see if folks start to subscribe to the Feed Burner update service or if the StumbleUpon button drives traffic higher...we'll see.

0 Comments: