Monday, April 28, 2008

The War on "Drugs"

For those who have read this blog, you know that I drove cross country to go to grad school back in 1995. I drove out on Route 80 from Lansdale, PA to Salt Lake City, where I turned northwest on Route 84 (post upcoming...) One of the places I stayed was Omaha, Nebraska, which was one of the strangest places I've ever been. While Omaha is known for the Air Force base that used to house the Strategic Air Commands B-52s and Warren Buffett, Omaha's most famous resident by far, what I remember most about my stay in Omaha was the evening news cast.

I arrived at my motel around 6:00pm after about 10 hours on the road, and then headed out to a bar to relax. Upon going to the local watering hole, the news was on, and I swear, ever other story was about gang violence. Not the run of the mill stories, but really grim stuff. So I casually asked the bartender what the deal was. It turns out that Omaha had a tremendous gang problem because of the drug traffic that goes through the city. If you look at a map, Omaha is a major hub, where supposedly lots of drugs move East-West and North-South through the country. The bartender stated that "if you control Omaha, you control the drug traffic." Probably the last place you'd expect a "gang" turf war, but back in 1995, it was a huge problem.

So I was Stumbling (http://www.stumbleupon.com/) recently, and saw this post that instantly reminded me of my night in Omaha. This is an amazing set of pictures that shows the sophistication that some go to grow marijuana. In fact, farmers in Texas were apparently growing drug crops because it was a more profitable than the crops typically planted. The market for drugs is no different than any other viable market, where "buyers and sellers" come together because buyers demand a product, and sellers are willing to sell the product to these buyers for a fair price.

Link to Pothouse of all Pothouses

0 Comments: