Tuesday, December 11, 2007

What to Do When You Get Hit by a Car Around the Holidays

I had a very surreal experience this morning that I feel compelled to share. I got hit by a car walking to the bus stop this morning in NJ. No joke. I was crossing the street and some woman never slowed down to make her left, and next thing I knew, i was on the hood and then on the ground after hearing the thud. So after yelling at this person for quite some time ("i believe I set the record for f-bombs before 6:45AM") and getting this person's license plates, phone number and name, i grabbed my blackberry and man purse that were strewn in the street and went on my way to catch the bus. No broken bones thank god, just some severe road rash on the arms and fleshy areas.

In hindsight, i guess someone was looking out for me, or it wasn't my time today. In a weird, surreal way, I remember thinking on the subway this morning that I felt like a stuntman on a high that can bounce off cars and survive (yes I went to work, Erin and my coworkers think i'm crazy). There is an awesome comic named Dane Cook who has this bit about seeing someone get hit by a car. His bit is pretty much what it was like...



If you ever have the chance to bounce off a car going 35, try it. It will definitely make you appreciate life and get you out of your "Groundhog day" doldrums.

All kidding aside, I know it's a cliche, but i look at this as another reminder during the holidays that life is short and too precious. Remember to keep in perspective what's important, and be able to recognize those in your life who mean something and are there to help you, and those who are fake and not true family or friends. Too often, we take for granted the fact that we will always see each other at the end of every day.

JKW

2 Comments:

Mr Daddy said...

Dude, what are you thinking carrying a man purse!

JKW said...

it's for the laptop i lug around...
don't be hatin'